Mini Book Review: 'Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991'

"Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991" is one of the top rock books I've read -- funny, inspiring, well researched, and insightful all at once. Since there are already tons of reviews out there on the Internetziz that go into plenty of critical and general detail, I figured I'd just give a quick summary of what's featured in the book:

The main bands profiled: Black Flag, The Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat (Fugazi), Husker Du, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr.

Secondary subjects: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Henry Rollins, Sebadoh, Steve Albini, SST Records, K Records, Sub Pop Records, the birth of punk and hardcore and straight-edge, various `zines, underground and indie scenes, and producers, musicians, influences, etc...

Quite humorous and harrowing, with awesome insider-interviews and wacky anecdotes, including a drunken cameo by Alex Chilton (of Chris Bell, Box Tops, and Big Star fame). Put this one on your bookshelf for some serious indie cred.

Search Amazon.com for more books related to Our Band Could Be Your Life

2 comments:

Perla said...

Even though I am not a huge fan of humorous literature, this review has aroused some interest in me, I think this book is worth reading, and I am going to get it. Could you tell me where is it available?

commodity tips said...

Great, realistic post: Recommended reading for everyone...
Commodity Tips